Monday, February 21, 2011

Inspiration

   "And I had to make a decision of shifting my weight, from one foot anchored to the building to the foot anchored on the wire. "
~Philippe Petit

 At the age of seventeen, Philippe was overcome with the idea, the dream, of walking between the Twin Towers on a wire, though they had not yet even been built.

 After years and years of waiting, planning, and flying to America from France to figure out the precise logistics, his dream came true.





Philippe Petit spent 45 minutes on a wire between the Twin Towers, on August 17, 1974. 

 "It was magical...it was just...profound." ~Friend
 "I saw his face changing.  He was very tense and all of a sudden there was something like a relief in him.  And from that time I thought, that's it, he's secure, that's good. And wow, that's, that's ... one laugh, then sobs."  ~Philippe's lifelong friend

To me it's really,... it's so simple.  That life should be lived on, on the edge of life.  You have to exercise rebellion.  To refuse to taper yourself to rules, to refuse your own success, to refuse to repeat yourself, to see every day, every year, every idea as a true challenge and then you are going to live your life on a tight rope... Philippe Petit

When I watched this documentary the other day, I was overcome with emotion.  I sat spellbound, tears streaming down my cheeks. What an extraordinary feat, beyond possibility.  And at the same time I felt a kinship with Philippe.  Though perhaps my time in Nepal was not nearly as life threatening, it was a dream I had carried with me for very long time.  Crazy, magical, surreal, beautiful.  So difficult, stressful, intense.  But I stepped out on that wire, and there was no going back.  And my life, my incredible life, is so much richer, fuller, amazing.  Never will I look back with regret.  For I have lived this life, rebelliously perhaps, refusing the rules, definitely, and miraculously, it blooms.


And here's my little guy, who just continues to embrace life full on, without so much a whimper, and never a complaint.   "Mommy, Pukar happy!"  Though I failed to get him coming down the hill on his first downhill skiing adventure, I did get him walking in his boots, which is equally as brave and cute.   So if you're looking for inspiration, this post is full of it! 

 
He's a natural!!!

Preparing for his big day in the living room with is buddy Rhone


And sledding with his cousin, Tristen... taking wipe-outs with a smile..."More, please!"






Oh, and watch the film:  Man on Wire.  It's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment