Monday, December 6, 2010

Can't I just buy some pepper?

Nothing is easy here.  My friends and I are all taking turns dropping like flies and heading to the Clinic.  Pukar was diagnosed today with rickets to top it all off.  I need 4000 IU of Vitamin D a day to treat it which of course is not available in Nepal.  Parents who have come and left are reporting going home with parasites.  Nice.  And all I wanted to buy today was some black pepper.... no such luck.  Did I mention it took four different cash machines just to get some money?  On the bright side, Pukar and I had a lot of fun today, and spent a lot of time in the sun soaking up the Vitamin D (since I just got the diagnosis, what better to do!).  We played in the gardens of a hotel called Shangri-La.  I do what I can to make-believe.  Nepalis wondered if we were cold?  It's like 70 something degrees.  All their kids have on full coats and hats in the middle of the day.  I know spirits can invade small babies, but wow, they really bundle...and the sun is the devil...fair skin is the way to go.  Whatever... my kid needs D and everyone knows I LOVE THE SUN!  Bring it.  I will get the Vitamin D I need one way or another.  And we are another day closer to submitting my RFE.  Don't hold your breath, but it is moving forward.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment